The first thing that comes to mind when I think of big, curly, and luscious hair is… CONFIDENCE. Inflate your mane, then rock it and own it, ladies! Even if you have straight hair or you hair has flatlined (it happens), here are a few tips on how to add volume to your ‘do without a curling iron or rollers.
1. When washing your hair, use a volumizing shampoo and only add conditioner to your ends so that you don’t weigh down your roots.
2. After washing your hair, flip it a few times. The hair flipping helps to separate and texturize, while lifting the root ( ridding it of excess water )
3. While your hair is damp, massage a dab of mousse onto your scalp and then blow-dry your roots for added height.
ITEMS TO GRAB
1. Oribe Texturizing Spray: A little goes a long way with this product, so invest in a bottle and use sparingly!
2. Osis “Dust It”: Texture dust for even more volume at the roots.
3. A really good Afro pick: This is the best tool for adding volume from the ends up. It bunches the curls together in just the right spots.
And once you’ve achieved your perfect look, set it! Hairspray and blow dry the sprayed spot (around the ears). This will keep your hair from falling flat after all your hard work. Werk doll!
One of my favorite styles to rock when I’m out on the go is sporty-chic . This specific style requires no jewelry, no make - up (ok, maybe some lipgloss) , and no heels. Street wear isn’t just for the fellas! Femme up a pair of sneakers with a crop top or pencil skirt. Here’s a lil’ style guide inspired by one of my laid back looks. I scoured the internet to find similar items and managed to get this look down to under $100 for you !
The weather is cooling down, but that doesn’t mean your closet has to! Stay warm and stylish with these easy fashion staples for the fall season.1. Sweats/Joggers: Mix and match your sweat pants and sweatshirts for a fashionably-comfy look. Not being so “matchy-matchy” with your top and bottom will make for an effortlessly stylish morning coffee run.
2 . Hats: I’m talking all types… fedoras, beanies, snapbacks, etc. Not only are hats an easy accessory, but they are great for keeping your hair tamed in windy fall weather.
3. Long coats: Everything from parkas, trenches, and faux fur. Long coats are a fall favorite and never go out of style. Investing in one of these is worth it because you can bring them out to play every year! Don’t think I forgot about shoes! There are so many, so that topic deserves a post on its own. Stay tuned for that.
I can’t say enough great things about Lush and their products. Last month I featured their bronzing body bars on my site and now I’m calling them out for their amazing “Dark Angels” body cleaner. Again, it’s hand made, and full of good things like avocado oil, and charcoal. Charcoal has amazing detox properties and even though it may make a bit of a mess in your shower, it’s absolutely awesome!
My artist spotlight for October is the talented, Paolo Nutini! Paolo is back with a new album titled, Caustic Love. I can’t get enough of it! I’m equally obsessed with his first album, These Streets... sooo good! The 27-year-old took a new direction with his latest offering, by mixing in some good ol’ funk and soul. I’m definitely feeling this new vibe and sound. His music is nothing short of amazing! Take some time today and listen to Mr. Nutini! He’s definitely one to watch.
Nothing can tear me away from my Proactiv Skin Care regimen for my face, so I’ve recently found the most amazing liquid vitamin complex to add to it… except you actually drink this! It’s called Clear Skin B5 by Liquid Health. It comes in a big bottle and is chock full of good stuff for your skin. I take a cap full in the morning and at night, along with my usual Proactiv routine, and I’ve found it not only makes me feel super healthy, but also adds the best that nature can offer to my complexion.
If you didn’t know… I ADORE Michael Kors! It wasn’t hard for me to fall for his radiant Spring 2015 collection! Michael Kors delivered a refreshing take on the classic 1950s aesthetic, with bold floral patterns while still keeping it simple and classic (just how I like it). Kors described the mood as, “optimistic chic.” I’m pretty positive that’s how I’d feel in this collection!
Okay, dirty little secret of mine…I’m AWFUL at doing eye makeup. With regular eyeshadow I always come out looking like I just lost a fight. That’s why I’ve been obsessed with Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick Eye Colour for months now! Not only do they make it so easy, they also double as a liner too! Smudge a bit on your lids and spread with a brush and you’re done! Obsessed. The best colors, the least amount of time, one of the best makeup investments. Who says caviar is only for eating?
With all of the exposure from the summer sun and heat, it’s more important than ever, now going into fall, to exfoliate. I am always really good about washing my face twice a day, but lately my skin has been so dry! I put my Proactiv Deep Cleansing Brush back into the mix and voila! No more dead, dry skin. Fresh face fancy dolls!